Cheapest/Shortest way to Get out of Germany (Interrail)

I bought interrail pass of 2 months unlimited train travel so i can travel as much as I want for 2 months out of Germany but there is one problem. You can only use Interrail for two days inside Germany
(one outgoing day and one incoming day).
So i was wondering what is the cheapest/quickest way to get out of Germany from Chemnitz if location does not matter. Would that be chemnitz to prague?
My goal is to have multiple trips using interrail without paying a lot to get out of Germany. It would be ideal if there is a fast train connection on exit from Germany :stuck_out_tongue:

Travel Deal Lords, please shower me with your genius brains.
Thanks

I would say by train to Prague is the shortest connection. From Dresden you can direct and with some days, you should go cheap tickets…

Alternative could be a flight from Leipzig/Hallo to Paris (Orly) with Vueling. From there you can then travel the Western Europe maybe Bettler…
Otherwise from BER you can fly with EasyJet and other low-cost to a different starting point…

Enjoy your travel :slight_smile:

If time does not matter, you can also take a Flixbus. There are plenty of options from Chemnitz, such as Amsterdam, various polish cities and nearby Prague.

I wonder if there is a way to see which train journeys are worth taking from prague? also is there high speed rail in czeck republic?

Should it not possible for him too using the 9 Euro ticket from 1.6.22 the 9 Euro ticket in Germany ?

1 „Gefällt mir“

yep if you are a german citizen. Are you??? if not i dont see any problems travelling inside Germany as much as you want. You have to show your Interrail ticket and a Document. Use your foreign passport and all is fine.

Nope, not a german citizen? are you sure about this? I am a resident of Germany and citizen of Pakistan.

You are right. The rules concern the country of residency, not the nationality:
Interrail: Das Zugticket für Europa | Deutsche Bahn

Quote from the bahn website:

Kann ich mit meinem Interrail Pass in meinem Wohnsitzland fahren?

**One Country Pass:**
Sie können mit dem One Country Pass nicht in dem Land reisen, in dem Sie Ihren Wohnsitz haben.

**Global Pass:**
Der Global Pass beinhaltet 2 Fahrten für das Land, in dem Sie Ihren Wohnsitz haben. Eine dieser Fahrten ist für Ihre Reise ins Ausland und die andere für Ihre Reise zurück.

For global pass, it says that there are 2 trips within the country you are a resident of.

The best / cheapest and fastest way is Prague.
Take the RB Zwickau Dresden from Chemnitz to Dresden (every hour) and then go into the EC to Budapest/Vienna till Prague. The train runs every 2 hours and gets fast to Prague. The price is okay, you can buy it for 24,99 € (I’m not sure the exact price now, this was the price last year) at bahn.de but you have to book it in advance 30 days minimum to get the cheap price.

That would indeed be a nice inexpensive combo!
@firstclass1: Have you heard about the 9 EUR ticket valid for ALL local and regional traffic all over Germany for one month? You can buy it for June, July and August this year.
Only downside is you cannot take fast (i.e. intercity, eurocity or ICE) trains with that ticket.

As discussed before, the 9€ ticket will most likely only be valid for German citizens. It remains to be seen if and how this restriction is enforced, however.

Limiting the sale/use of these tickets to Germans only would certainly be in violation to EU law. So, I reckon it’s at least for anyone with EU citizenship or anyone (incl. third-country nationals) with residency inside the EU. And I strongly believe it goes beyond that, incl. tourists from third countries. I don’t see how they manage to efficiently enforce any potential limitations or simply wouldn’t bother to check each and everyone.

1 „Gefällt mir“

I agree with @axeljf that it must be valid at least for residents of Germany (or even EU), too.
How in the world would they justify it should not be valid for, say, the non-German husband of a German woman, working in Germany, with German kids etc.? Would be pretty ridiculous.

Moreover, anyone can already buy the ticket at machines or points of sale of certain regional companies.

That is not correct. Ticket will be available for anybody, including foreigners and non-citizens of Germany. (source: 9 gute Gründe | Münchner Verkehrsgesellschaft mbH)
Final regulations are supposed to be released tomorrow

Jep, looks like the residency restrictions was scrapped. :slight_smile: Great news for visitors

But the challenge will now to take then right short trains :smiley: and not the long distance traines.
Everythink what is white is better not to use :smiley:

So now we know that everyone can use 9 euro ticket. Is there a way to use regional trains to reach prague or is that too slow and not worth it?

The other question is If we take the regional train up to first stop in Czech republic and then we can switch to EC in Czech republic. Then it will not be counted in my 2 days allowed in interrail pass.

I wonder what is the first stop for EuroCity inside Czeck republic. Is that Decin hl.n?

I was also thinking of using Sachsen day ticket which allows unlimited travel for 24 hours for only 24 euros. That way I don’t have to play and buy tickets months in advance.

It’s certainly possible (and means that you’ve got more to enjoy Saxon Switzerland). But from Dresden you’ll need about 4 hours instead of 2 and a half.

You can use Cheap Train Tickets | Timetables for Germany & Europe - Deutsche Bahn to easily filter for „local transport only“:

I searched now the best possible price for that (from Chemnitz to Prag) and the fastest by only using regional trains in germany.
Take the RE from Zwickau to Dresden Main Station (needs from Chemnitz 90 minutes). Than take the S-Bahn S1 towards Bad Schandau / Schöna till Bad Schandau (needs 60 minutes / runs every hour, on weekdays every 30 minutes)
These are all regional trains and that you can use the 9€ Ticket to get there.
From Bad Schandau you need to use the EC towards Prague (when you book in some days in advance, you get it for 13,90€ (I searched now and find it for several trains next week for example)

So you get it from Chemnitz in 5 or 6 hours to Prague and the costs are around 23 Euros.

With the saxony ticket you cant get into the czech republic. The first stop in the czech republic of the EC is Decin, thats right. There are some trains from saxony to decin, but with a special fare.